1. Get dressed in the morning like you are going to work – this works because the mind does not always differentiate between reality and imagination.
2. At the first signs of stress, anxiety or depression – use deep belly breathing and meditation to calm down.
3. Stay in the present moment – right now there is no danger!
4. Exercise – moves your energy and is known to feel empowering – this is something you are doing for you and you have control over as well as eliminating boredom
5. Video chat with someone – again, the mind does not differentiate between reality and imagination.
6. Develop hobbies/explore new opportunities – focuses your mind on something other than fear. It’s when we ruminate, think in circles, that we feed fear and watch it grow.
7. Develop a new routine that takes into account your new situation. Treat this like and adventure or holiday, and explore some new interests.
8. Take a class – like the one I’m offering on Unlocking the Power of You.
9. Catch and reframe negative thoughts – “I am stuck inside” to “I can finally focus on my home and myself”. I saw a quote the other day that said “You are not stuck inside, you are safe inside”. Remember that.
10. Eat at designated times-don’t let the stress come out in the form of snacking all day.
11. Take showers – hot showers are proven to improve mood.
12. Clean and organize your living quarters – a chaotic home can lead to a chaotic mind and getting things done can again keep your focus off the quarantine as well as gaining a sense of accomplishment.
And, if you still find you are stressed, seek out a professional like myself who can guide you towards mental health. It’s a great time to focus on your own inner growth, so why not take advantage of it? You can schedule a virtual therapy session here.